The State Department of USA has approved the sale of an Integrated Air Defense Weapon System (IADWS) to India on Monday, February 10. The estimated cost of this Integrated Air Defense Weapon System (IADWS) is $1.867 billion.
“The Government of India has requested to buy an Integrated Air Defense Weapon System (IADWS) to modernise its armed forces, and to expand its existing air defense architecture to counter threats posed by air attack,” US State Department said in a press release.
.@StateDept authorizes a proposed Foreign Military Sale #FMS to #India for an Integrated Air Defense Weapon System #IADWS for an estimated cost of up to $1.86 billion.@StateDeptPM @State_SCA #FMSUpdate — https://t.co/HpyXqniicl pic.twitter.com/zBjJrCmNGo— Political-Military Affairs, US Dept of State (@StateDeptPM) February 10, 2020
This approval came ahead of US President Donald Trump’s visit to India.
President @realDonaldTrump & @FLOTUS will travel to India from February 24-25 to visit Prime Minister @narendramodi!— The White House (@WhiteHouse) February 10, 2020
The trip will further strengthen the U.S.-India strategic partnership & highlight the strong & enduring bonds between the American & Indian people. 🇺🇸 🇮🇳
Integrated Air Defense Weapon System (IADWS) includes:
- Five (5) AN/MPQ-64Fl Sentinel radar systems
- One hundred eighteen (118) AMRAAM AIM-120C-7/C-8 missiles
- Three (3) AMRAAM Guidance Sections
- Four (4) AMRAAM Control Sections
- One hundred thirty-four (134) Stinger FIM-92L missiles
This Integrated Air Defense Weapon System (IADWS) also includes:
- Thirty-two (32) M4A1 rifles
- Forty thousand three hundred twenty (40,320) M855 5.56mm cartridges
- Fire Distribution Centers (FDC)
- Handheld Remote Terminals
- Electrical Optical/Infrared (EO/IR) Sensor Systems
- AMRAAM Non-Developmental Item-Airborne Instrumentation Units (NDIAIU)
- Multi-spectral Targeting System-Model A (MTS-A)
- Canister Launchers (CN)
- High Mobility Launchers (HML)
- Dual Mount Stinger (DMS) Air Defense Systems
- Vehicle Mounted Stinger Rapid Ranger Air Defense Systems
Apart from this, communications equipment; tool kits; test equipment; range and test programs; support equipment; prime movers; generators; technical documentation; computer based training equipment; training equipment; training towers; ammunition storage; training and maintenance facilities; infrastructure improvements; U.S. Government and contractor technical support, engineering and logistics support services; warranty services; Systems and Integration Checkout (SICO); field office support; and other related elements of logistics and program support are also included in this Integrated Air Defense Weapon System (IADWS) deal.
The principal contractors involved in this program are The Raytheon Corporation and Kongsberg Defense and Aerospace.
Protection of Delhi:
With the approval of sale of Integrated Air Defense Weapon System (IADWS), Indian Air Force has moved closer to protect national capital New Delhi from 9/11 type attacks.
Integrated Air Defense Weapon System (IADWS) will replace the existing Russian Air Defense system which have deployed for protecting the VVIPs areas in New Delhi. Air Defence of Delhi is managed by Indian Air Force.